We can never know exactly what practices will increase the longevity of our dogs but I do have some thoughts and hope that my practices are promoting better health and longevity.
I'd like to share some of my thoughts on small things we can do over the lifetime of our dogs that may help add years to their lives and hopefully a healthier dog overall.
Additionally, I think knowing why our dogs die helps us to all make more informed breeding decisions. Thus I put the cause of death of all my dogs on their K9Data page and include all dogs born here at Shilo if indeed the cause is known.
1. I give my dogs filtered water I allow to sit overnight to allow the chlorine to dissipate. They do not get water out of a hose nor drink out of plastic containers.
2. My dogs are fed a raw diet which includes fresh fruits and vegetables. Their carbohydrate consumption is limited, especially grains and starches.
3. My dogs have free access to a grass yard via a dog door to their kennel building. Thus they can lay in the sun when they want to. The yard is not treated with pesticides or herbicides.
4. Pregnant girls are not xrayed, which is usually done by breeders to count puppies. If there is a question of a retained pup, an xray would be done after whelping should there ever be a need.
5. Flea and tick treatment is used only if needed. Heartworm preventitive is given every 45 days.
6. Vaccinations are given to puppies in a series with parvo and distemper, again one year later, then every three years until seniors when I don't give them anymore. Rabies is done per the law, lasting 3 years if over a year old in Ohio.
NATURAL WEED KILLER RECIPE
(1) 1 Pound of Salt
(2) 1 Gallon of Vinegar
(3) 2 Squirts of Dishwashing Liquid
(4) 4 Tablespoons of Lemon Juice
(5) Spray Bottle
Stir Salt in just enough HOT water to dissolve. Add rest of ingredients
after the Salt dissolves or the Salt will clog your sprayer. The Dish
Washing Liquid will enable the mixture to stick to the plants. It is
generally better to use when there is NO rain eminent. This will kill
anything it touches (Plant Wise) so be careful where you spray.
DO NOT SPRAY ON YOUR LAWN UNLESS YOU ARE VERY CAREFUL BECAUSE IT WILL
KILL YOUR GRASS ALSO